Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes


On the Parent Diaries blog, I try to provide information that will help parents better help their children succeed in school — without going insane.

To that end, I recently came across this fabulous poem posted on the MySpace page of my daughter's friend, Olivia. It's a poem that has been traveling around the Internet, written by an unknown source, it seems.

I found it wonderful and poignant that Olivia chose to post it because despite the antics of middle school (don't get me started), it's refreshing to see that this gorgeous 8th grader and her "best friends" in the photo realize that they are growing up too fast.

So here's to you, Olivia! Keep swinging at the playground, opt for licorice cigs, and fearlessly wear skirts (just pick ones that aren't too short). All the mommies and daddies out there are rooting for you and your BFFs to hold on to the joy and innocence of childhood for as long as possible. With love.

I remember when getting high meant swinging at the playgrounds.
The worst thing your could get from boys were cooties.
Your worst enemies were your siblings.
The only drug you knew of was cough medicine.
Wearing a skirt didn’t mean you were a slut.
The only thing you smoked was licorice.
The only thing that could hurt was skinned knees.
The only things that could break were your toys.
Life was so simple and carefree.
But what I remember the most was wanting to grow up.
And now that I think about it,
All I really want to do is go back.


Entry by Hope Katz Gibbs, Inkandescent Public Relations.

No comments: